Monday, August 9, 2010

FUNdamentals

August 5, 2010


Welcome Activity- Color the letter Aa picture.


LBQ- This is a different question that we will ask every day. Something new to get our brains thinking! We will sing the song that will cue the children to stop what they are doing, clean it up, and then head upstairs to sit on the mats. Today I asked, "What is your favorite color?"


Song- Welcome Song(to the tune of "A Hunting We Will Go")

I'm glad I came to school, I'm glad I came to school, with all the other boys and girls I'm glad I came to school.....(child's name) will be there......(child's name)....will be there, with all the other boys and girls.......I'm glad I came to school! (Repeat putting all the children's names in)

Pledge/ Weather/ Calendar
Book- I Love School by Philemon Sturges. This cute book tells us about some of the fun things we will learn and do in school this year. A great book to get us excited to be here in school ready for an awesome year!
Introduce FUNdamentals- These are our main ideas for the month. These we will be posted on the side bar of our blog each month. Please help your child focus on these at home as well and ask questions about what they are learning.
Shape: " A Circle"
A circle is round(form a circle with arms out front)
There is no end(shake head no)
It started as a straight line(put arms out straight)
Then you add a bend(bend arms up to make a circle over your head)
#1 and #2 Action Game:
Each child gets a turn to wear the #1 or #2 and pick an action for all of to do 1 or 2 X's. This is something the kids always love and as we count a bigger number, they get more creative with their action!
AB Pattern: We first talked about what a pattern is and how it could look. Next we took turns making an AB pattern using marbles. Right now at the beginning of the year some children may have not know what a pattern is, but as we continue practice they will understand. It is really fun for them to have objects to use in making a pattern. Practice these patterns at home with objects you may already have!
Colors: Blue and Yellow
Can you point to something blue/yellow in the room? Different children will get an opportunity to identify the color card and then find something in the room that is the same color.
Snack- Thank you for providing great snacks for the children!
Sing/Sign Letter Aa- We learn 2-3 letters each month. We focus on letter recognition first as well as letter sounds. We also learn the ASL sign for each letter and sing a song to help us remember what sound each letter makes.
We learned about the letter Aa today. The letter Aa to the turn of Frere Jacques.
The letter A. The letter A.(make ASL sign for letter, showing one hand then the other) Has a sound. Has a sound.(bring 1 hand to ear and then the other to the other ear) What sound do you make? What sound do you make?(palms facing up, shrug shoulders) /a/ /a/ /a/! /a/ /a/ /a/! (make ASL sign for letter, move hand forward and backward for each sound)
Letter Craft- This year we decided to have a letter craft for each letter. Each child will receive a paper with the capital and lower case letter printed on it. We will then go over the sound it makes and then put an object on it. This month we had Apple stickers that they put all over their paper. Each month the craft will reflect the letter we are learning about.
Playtime!















































My camera battery died here and so I have no more pictures...sorry!




No comments: